Thursday, June 5, 2014

Slicin' Dicin' Grillin': Spiced Chicken and Strawberry Salad

Single, Slicin' Dicin' and Sizzlin'

Hello! I apologize  for not putting up my weekly blog, I have been crazy busy these last couple weeks. Recently, I have moved across the BIG water to a little island country just outside of the Arctic Circle. Can you guess where I am?

But any way you most likely have not come to this page looking to hear my life's story, but rather to gather some inspiration for a mouth watering meal for, alas, one.

I haven't had a lot of time to cook recently, and its really bumming me out. I have all of these great recipes trapped in my brain and up until today I have had no way of exercising them. But I have a special one that I have been meaning to share with you all. When summer is on its way I ( not where I am of course) I always find myself want something crisp and refreshing for either lunch or dinner. So today I am going to share with you my spiced grilled chicken breast over field greens and strawberry salad, tossed with an exciting Dijon and Balsamic dressing.

Today we are going to have to prep 3 things: the chicken, the salad, and the dressing.

First lets get the Dijon and Balsamic dressing rollin'!!

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp- Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp- Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp- Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp- Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a bowl or salad dressing shaker. Shake or mix well. Let chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Next Up the Spiced Chicken!!!

Ingredients:
1- 6 oz Chicken Breast
1 Tbsp- Olive Oil
2 tsp- Chili powder
1 tsp- Garlic powder
1/2 tsp- Chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp- Cumin
1/4 tsp- Nutmeg
1/2 tsp- Salt
1/2 tsp- Cracked black pepper

Directions: Get the GRILL goin'! Turn it up to Med-High heat. Next rinse and dry chicken breast. Lay chicken on a cutting board and slice lengthwise, as if to butterfly it. Then rub chicken well with olive oil. Next combine all the spices into one bowl. Take the spice mixture and rub generously on to the chicken. Cover  the chicken and let set for about 5 minutes. Next take the chicken and put on the grill! Grill each side about 4-6 minutes each or until the center has reached 165 degrees F. Take chicken off the grill and let rest while you prep your greens for the salad.

THE Field Green and Strawberry Salad:

3 oz- Fresh Strawberries- sliced
2 cups- field greens ( arugula, spinach, dandelion greens, baby beat greens, young kale, ect.)
1/4- English cucumber- sliced into 1/8 inch slices.

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

Putting it all together: In the bowl with the salad add the dressing. Toss the dressing and the salad until all the greens are coated to your liking. Next take the chicken breast and slice it, then place the chicken on top of your salad. You can mix it in or leave it on top. 

I hope you all enjoy this. I wish I had picture to put up because it is a very pretty dish. Like always your questions, comments and criticisms are most certainly welcome!